Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What's going on in the kitchen? Response to "Baking Cookies"

Patrick,

“Baking Cookies” is about a mother’s sexually abusive relationship with her young son, Matt. The “games” that they play are the ongoing conflict, as well as the social worker who continuously shows up at the house trying to figure out if the mother is abusing Matt because she’s been informed by the father of what’s going on. The more significant problem underlying the narrative is that Matt doesn’t feel that these “games” are bad, in fact it seems that he enjoys them because it’s the way his mother shows her “affection” for him.
    So, what’s going on in the kitchen? As you know, I really love the eery tone of this story. I think you captured the tension of the mother/son relationship really well. It was a nice build up. The first couple of pages contain some of my favorite lines. For instance, the line, “Before I could turn on my stool, I felt her squishing into my back, her lips kissing the top of my head.” This is before we know of the true nature of the mother and it was a subtle implication that something is just not quite right. I just see her disgusting squishy lips on his head and her long fingernails.
    On another note, I also really love the sugary descriptions of baking cooking paired with the lingering idea that the mother is a little too “sweet” on her child. The confectioner’s sugar compared with powdered sugar and all the other details and narrative about baking was really effective and it helped me to see the world he lives in. Frankly, I was disturbed. So thanks. :) In addition, I really enjoyed the child narrative voice. I love the line, “My teacher once told me that eggshells had a lot of calcium in them, like the human bone did, and that, without calcium, kids my age wouldn‟t be able to play the same way we do now.” It also shows Matt is at that vulnerable age where he believes just about everything he’s told, thus why he trusts his creepo mother.
    As far as suggestions go. . .
I’d like to know exactly how old the child is. I don’t know if I missed it, but I feel that’s important to the background detail. I guess spelling test start in first gradeish? He still calls his mother Mom, too. So there were just a couple of times where I got distracted trying to guess the age of the Matt. He seems like a really smart kid.
    I think I’d also like to know the motivation behind the mother abusing Matt. I know there’s no good reason for sexual abuse, but I’d like maybe a little information explaining maybe what’s driven her to such extremes. I mean she is touching his poopy spot. Woof. She seems pretty messed up. Maybe her having a psychological disorder (which is pretty much implicated by the simple fact of the situation!) or maybe he gets sad because he doesn’t have many friends and that’s her way to comfort him. I want a little more psychological conflict. I know the mom claims to have been abused by Matt’s dad, but it apparent he is more of the responsible one considering he informed someone and that’s probably why they separated.
    Overall, this story is right up my alley. I love creepy drenched in syrup. ;) Good job, Patrick. I’m happy I got to see your demented side. HA

No comments: